- me: I was thinkin' about coming to see you and ma soon. You down?
- brother: oh my gosh yes.
- brother: I need some serious sister time.
- brother: And by "serious time" I mean "cage fight"
- me: Prepare yourself. This cage match is going to be BRUTAL.
- me: And by "brutal" I mean "filled with hugs and emotional support."
- me: Welcome to the Sister-Sister School of Hard Knocks.
Of sheets and skin and fur of him,
bed of ground and river, of land,
or tongue, of arms, the wanton field,
of flame and flowers, stalk of him,
harp, arboreal, steep and rush.
House him in the coil of my hair,
silk of him and open sea, flood, star,
toes of him, stickiness, of flesh.
Rind of him, gaze, of salt and heat,
face, food and blade, island in bright
bloom, bristle, blossom, all this night
lie long with him as dark flies fleet.
Transparent, filled up, emptied out,
here of him, here I find his mouth.
-Honor Moore, “Song”
my grandma put a little piece of her birthday cake in the garbage can and i was like why the heck did you do that and she said “it’s important to leave some for the raccoons because what if it’s a raccoon’s birthday and no one remembers??”
birthday raccoon will shank you if you try to eat his cake